Friday, May 8, 2009

The SIM Card Complication

'Twas a quiet night.
Gently blowing breeze,
Rustling the leaves.
Quiet phone in the night.


Wait. Quiet phone? No, definitely not right. It was only then that I discovered it.


Restart the phone.

Restart the phone, again.

Nothing changed.

Shit.

And I was expecting a call. This wasn't good at all. It was already 10pm.

Shit. Customer service dah tutup.

That 24 hours without my phone was one of the most stressful moments. Here I was, the anarchist of cellphones, feeling so Disconnected. Proof again of how cellphones are now an indispensable part of our lives. Heck, my 9-year old cousin has a handphone too. COLOR SCREEN LEH. When I was 9 I was busy memorizing all my friends' telephone numbers and playing with Lego's.

I went to replace the fucked SIM card the first thing right after my classes. The first thing I asked was "Replace SIM card ini kena bayar tak?"
"Kena, prepaid kena bayar RM10"
"Eh, mana boleh lah, saya dah guna SIM card ini selama 4 tahun, tak ada warning, tiba-tiba rosak, mana boleh? Tak boleh charge la, ini panggil service."

Being the jewbag* that I am, I had already known about this so-called "service charge" beforehand. And heck, I had totally no intention of paying them anything for a 5-minute procedure. So I went on blabbering about a lot of other stuff, from my lost million-dollar contract to the Cuban Missile Crisis. The lady attending to me who was originally friendly and bubbly all of a sudden turned quiet and sullen.

* A cheap and selfish person
**The author wishes to express that he used the word jewbag as a joke and he is not cheap and selfish in actual fact.

When I finally got my replacement SIM card, I purposely avoided any mention of the RM10. And wadaya know, she didn't ask anything from me. I walked away with my new SIM, ever the jewbag* and RM10 saved.



Now-Then

3 comments:

girlieman said...

wow...looks like you just saved RM10..

KLK1989 said...

Well, if I were u, I would scold them for charging me RM10. Giving lousy network service/courage.

Xiang Ning said...

Wauuuu...I get more Courage if I use DiGi.
Scolding's not gonna solve nothing. And their network service isn't lousy too. Better than DiGi at least.