Sunday, February 14, 2010

Shock and Awe Versi Sibu (Malaysia)

Author's Note: The author would like to wish his readers a very Happy Chinese New Year! May the Year of the Metal Tiger bring happiness, luck, health and prosperity!


This is the FIRST year I have internet while back at Sibu for the Chinese New Year holidays! For the past 19 years it'd been internet-less and disconnection from the outside world.




Thinking about the past 19 years, it's really a wonder how fast things change around us.



Last time I never met any friends while in Sibu. Then when handphones started emerging, I'd use my dad's cellphone and call my friends to arrange a visit. And then I had a cellphone. And then Internet, or more specifically, mobile broadband.






Anyways, this year the fireworks show was TOTALLY awesome, definitely one of the best ever. The fireworks started about half an hour before midnight. Sure, last time the firecrackers and fireworks used to come out as early as 8pm, but then again, hey, I don't care much as long as I have a great show at midnight.



Although I haven't seen other places yet on Chinese New Year's Eve, I am willing to bet you ANYTHING that Sibu's fireworks are amongst the top in the country. There is simply NO way in hell that Selangor or KL can come up with anything better and grander.


Just standing there while all the fireworks and firecrackers were going off around me, I felt like a helpless Iraqi when America launched Operation Shock and Awe on them, with bombs and artillery going boom boom boom around me. And the firecrackers sounded awfully similar to machine guns being fired.


The Arab


To top it all off, the roads in Sibu were FILLED WITH SMOKE. Driving through the smoke made me feel like I was in a foreign land where fog was a common sight on chilly days.


The Arab doing his part in the war by lighting a fuse.







Do note that NONE of these photos actually do justice to the actual thing. To get a rough picture of the actual thing, take a long hard look at my picture here, and then picture in your mind a thousand more of those things. Yeaah, it's really THAT big.



Economic recession? WHAT Recession?



The cousins (incomplete. The complete one would need four of these photos)




I like this shot because it looks abstract. What I picture in my mind is a ball of plasma.







4 comments:

KLK1989 said...

Nice fireworks! =)

Wayne said...

That Arab dude is hilarious xD

TheTrollingLulu said...

THE ARAB TOTALLY ROCKED!!!! HAHAHAHAHAH =)
and nice fireworks =)

Anonymous said...

A friend of mine mentioned 2012 last night to me and it's the first I heard about it so I jumped on here out of curiosity. I think it's kind of sick and sounds like a bunch of skeptical jargon.
I choose to live every day like it is the last because let's be real, WHO THE HELL KNOWS what is going to happen or when it's your time to go on. The past is history, the future is a mystery and now is a gift, thats why it's called the present. It's not healthy to sit around and trip out about when you will die. Stop wasting your time you have now.
[url=http://2012earth.net/future_and_past_of_the_earth.html
]2012 end of the world
[/url] - some truth about 2012