Sunday, May 2, 2010

Facebook Deprivation


It was another one of my spontaneous moments. In a flash I decided to deactivate my Facebook account. Now just WHAT made me commit such heresy, you may ask. Well, I'd say nothing really, just pure randomness.

After all I did live happily without Facebook even as everyone jumped on the Facebook bandwagon. I only fell into the spiraling hole that is Facebook when a friend, out of randomness decided to create an account for me.

That was about a year ago. Ever since then not a day went by without me not checking my Facebook account for updates, be it spam from Leung Keet or me being tagged in random pictures, ALSO by Leung Keet. At times I would just sit and stare at the Facebook homepage and wait for the tiny red notifications that indicated there was an update.

Yeah, ALL OF YOU are guilty of this crime. And you know it's eating away at your life.

So yeah, out of spontaneity I decided to deactivate my account, leaving behind a very very confused Leung Keet without any warning. In fact, just 5 minutes after I deactivated my account Leung Keet texted me and asked me why I "removed Kein Yip's drunk picture and that I had disappeared from Facebook". Now I don't know of any other living human that can know of my disappearance so fast than Leung Keet did. Whether or not he has a life I'll leave it to you to decide.

And yes, I did this to prove to myself and the world that I can and will survive without the parasite that is Facebook. I am not saying I'm quitting Facebook for good. I'm just like Tiger Woods, taking an indefinite leave. No worries, I'm not totally off the grid, I'm still on MSN and the World Wide Web. And those who want to contact me will know how to reach me. I'll be updating my blog from time to time with updates on the Facebook deprivation experiment, so tune in!

6 comments:

kerbaurider said...

But... I just want to be your friend. Is that too much to ask? Is that considered a sin, a sin to guilt for? Man, I just wan to be your friend, sighs like Randy Marsh.

Wayne said...

lol @ south park

I think it's pretty normal to check Facebook daily and leave it open while you're surfing other sites. But staring at the home page for updates after you're done...not so much.

Don't you have enough games to keep you occupied till next year? Use them.

TheLulu said...

salutations

KLK1989 said...

You've got a point there, but not all of us would be staring at the home page waiting for new notifications to pop-up, neither do I. People use Facebook to connect with old friends and new friends. Facebook mainly to connect with people and get you updated with your friends' activities etc. It's up to you.

Xiang Ning said...

And you can survive just as well without Facebook. I'm doing this to prove to myself that my life will not crumble without Facebook.

StanLulu said...

I wont get sucked into facebook!!!