Thursday, March 18, 2010

My (Unnecessary) Dilemma

UPDATE (20th March 2010): I did a comparison of 3 MP3 players using a method called the Composite Criterion Method. What it does is factors in all the different factors with different weightage and comes up with a composite score. Well obviously the higher score wins. You can download my Excel file here.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/5lpgbb

Remember how I immediately adored my Lenovo netbook the very first time I saw it? Well, trust me to be at it again!
What is it THIS time?
Well, I was walking around in Sunway Pyramid one fine day, not too long ago, and passed by "machines". (yah, there's no caps in its shop name) Now I've been inside that shop many times before, but on this fateful day, I walked right in the shop, and IMMEDIATELY my eyes narrowed in on THAT thing.

That slim, sleek, very attractive (and also fucking expensive) creature.

The new Apple iPod Nano 5th Generation. Slim, Stylish and by God it's pretty.

And all I've ever talked and thought about ever since then was this (unnecessary) creature.

Furthermore, to add even more unnecessaries to this already unnecessary unnecessity, I played around with a friend's iPod Touch, AND ENDED UP LIKING IT TOO =(


The (not-so-new) Apple iPod Touch. Big, bulky yet fucking fun to play with.

Now I'm an Engineer-to-be, and engineers quantify stuff before deciding on anything. So I made a crude comparison between the two iPods. So here goes

iPod Nano
Pros:
  • Small form factor (perfect for someone like me)
  • Light
Cons:
  • No >90000 applications
  • No capacitive multitouch screen
  • No WiFi means no Facebook
  • Quite fucking expensive at RM599 for 8Gb
  • I know its sound isn't as good as Sony's
iPod Touch
Pros:
  • >90000 applications for me to fuck with
  • WiFi means Facebook!
  • Touchscreen for convenience (or inconvenience)
  • Movies will view better on a bigger screen
  • Better Price-Performance ratio (you get more for what you pay)
  • You get an iPhone MINUS the irritating calls from telemarketers =D
  • That above one was a joke.
Cons:
  • Big and fucking bulky (How can it fit in my pockets?)
  • Attracts too much attention (Hey look! He has an iPhone!!!)
  • Your unFriends laugh at you when they find out it's not an iPhone after all.
As you can see as well as I can, on paper the Touch really looks like the better choice. Except for one thing, I have no interest in carrying around something that enormous.

As my faithful readers, you now get THE CHANCE OF YOUR LIFETIMES to help CHANGE MINE! Your comments MAY decide which player I choose. Choose well!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you on your information.

Xiang Ning said...

I did? Well glad to know that man. Now if I only know who you are.... =(
Thanks anyway for the comment.

Jessica said...

Haha so still in a dilemma? the iPod Nano 5G has a video cam (but without snapping photos function i think), which is stg the iPod touch does not have. if you can afford a Nano, you can probably afford an iTouch too. but if you think of buying the iTouch, compare that to the iPhone. which is like an iTouch but with phone functions. personally if i were you i would go for the iPhone or iTouch. cz i would wait for the Nano 6G (HAHA) with CAM functions as well... (my assumption), which would then be like a mini iPhone without phone functions..
gosh im not helping much aye. screw Apple for being too innovative. and their iPad. -.-